Samorost – Czech for “to grow by yourself” – Samorost 2 and Machinarium by Amanita Design are a series of beautifully animated “escape the room”-type adventure games, ripe for exploitation in the ELT classroom with almost any age group and level.
Since there’s no text in the original game, the key to learning is in the tasks you design. Suggestions include:
- running dictation – students read and relay instructions to complete each level
- live listening – students listen and follow instructions to complete each level
- creative writing or speaking – students write or tell a first- or third-person account of what happened to the man on the planet
- walkthrough writing I – students play and write a walkthrough for one level, discussing their ideas in small groups as they go
- walkthrough writing II – students watch a video of a walkthrough for one level and use it to write instructions for another person:
See this student worksheet for more information.
If you’ve used Samorost with your students, tell us what you did and how it went down with them.